Sunday, March 12, 2006

Christian Slater Considers Doing Shakespeare Play in England -

Christian Slater is expected to take to the London stage as Roman soldier Mark Antony in William Shakespeare's tragedy "Antony And Cleopatra." Slater has been discussing the role with Frances Barber, who will play Cleopatra in the production at Shakespeare's Globe. And although Barber admits Slater is too young to play the Egyptian queen's beloved, she is keen to perform with him again.

She says, "I'm going to do Cleopatra at the Globe Theatre. We haven't got an Antony yet but I'd love Christian, who is just simply fantastic. I've just been speaking to him about it. He seemed really interested so I'm going to ring the director tomorrow. I've told Christian he's too young for the role really but he said, 'Hey, I can age up!'"

Barber admits she also has an age issue - and it took Ian Mckellen to persuade her to grab the role while she still could. She says, "We were working together on the panto Aladdin and he said, 'You've got to do Cleopatra now or else you'll be too old to play her. It's your last chance!'"

No comments: